Become a bus driver
All you need to know about becoming a bus driver.
If you love driving and are passionate about customer service, bus driving could be the perfect career choice for you.
Roles and responsibilities of a bus driver:
Key worker – providing a vital service in the local community.
Delivering customers safely to their destination on time.
Providing the highest possible quality of customer service.
Driving efficiently and courteously.
Taking fares and giving tickets.
Providing timetable and route information.
How do I become a bus driver?
If you have a valid PCV licence and up-to-date Driver CPC Qualification, we would love to receive your application to join our team where we will arrange an interview and driving assessment.
If you are thinking of starting your career as a bus driver or possibly looking for a career change, West Coast Motors can help you by offering free training up to the value of £2000*.
To become a bus driver, we would support you through the following process:
- Obtain the provisional Category D on your Driving Licence (to do this you will need to undertake a medical).
2. Once provisional returned we will book and pay for your theory test (includes theory, hazard perception and module 2 Driver CPC).
3. Once theory test is passed, we will book and pay for your practical training (includes module 4 Driver CPC) which is five days of practical training with a driving test on the final day.
4. Once practical test is passed, we will support you through further training and route learning at your local depot with one of our experienced professional drivers.
*terms and conditions apply
Why should you join our team?
As well as joining a family business with family values, we offer a competitive rate of pay of £10.50 per hour, and an excellent range of benefits including:
- A career for life
- A permanent and secure job
- Great training
- 30 days paid holidays
- Free uniform
- Free travel for you and your family
- Development and career opportunities
- Over-time opportunities
- Flexible hours
- Recommend a friend bonus
What do our staff say?
“I love that every day is different. It’s a relaxed atmosphere, but professional at the same time and I get to work with a great bunch of people” – Chris Hoo, Oban
“I enjoy driving through the beautiful and scenic Argyll and Highlands and having a great relationship with our local customers.” – Angus McGregor, Oban
“After years of part time work, I retrained as a bus driver. It was the best decision I ever made.” – Lorna Sneddon, Dunoon
“No two days are the same. I enjoy being part of a great team, meeting people and helping visitors to the island.” – Iain Middleton, Bute